Prescription Painkiller Addiction
The rate of Americans suffering from prescription painkiller addiction is on the rise. Addiction to these medications can cause destruction to lives enslaved to addiction as well as the loved ones that surround the addict. The initial use of prescription painkillers whether intentional or not, can begin the vicious cycle of addiction. Without awareness an individual can become extremely dependent on the drugs.
Commonly abused painkillers and their brand names:
Fact Sheet on Prescription Painkiller Addiction
Painkillerabuse.us compiled a startling fact report on prescription painkiller addiction confirming Americans are suffering from prescription painkiller addiction.
The fact sheet of prescription painkiller abuse show:
- Men and women seek different results of painkiller; typically men seek the “high” and women seek the emotional relief
- The U.S. has the highest painkiller abuse rate in the world; Oxycodone at 71 percent and 99 percent of Hydrocodone, or Vicodin.
- In 2006 over 2 million teenagers abused prescription drugs
- Over 2,000 teenagers are introduced to prescription painkillers a day. Of them teenage girls are more likely to use.
- Females are more likely than men to be hospitalized or put into a drug treatment program resulting from painkiller abuse. The rate of hospitalization has rose 150%
- Deaths resulting from prescription painkillers increased 160%
- It is projected that by 2020 the percent of prescription drug abuse will increase by 190%
Prescription painkiller addiction has become an epidemic, destroying lives at an increasing rate. The good news is there is help. Abstinence is the only prevention; the road to recovery is possible and can be achieved. With the help of a qualified detox and rehab facility, you can begin the road to a life of sobriety. Contact The Hills Treatment Center at 866-323-4665 today for more information.