Drug Use Facts and Figures- Treatment is Required
The Hills Treatment Center, in an effort to continue its mission toward drug rehabilitation education, presents some interesting facts and figures about how drug and alcohol use are trending in the United States. There’s a lot of food for thought that these statistics inspire as we observe the cost of drug usage to the individual and to society. Many might agree that the need for drug treatment and rehabilitation continues in a serious fashion.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) provides all of these study results:
- Abuse of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs costs our nation more that $700 billion annually in crime, health care, and loss of work productivity.
- Every day, 3,287 teens use marijuana for the first time. Heavy marijuana use by teens can lead to an IQ drop of up to eight points.
- Between 2001 and 2014, there was a 3 fold increase in the total number of deaths from prescription drug overdoses.
- There are approximately 2.8 million new illicit drug users in the United States, which equals about 7, 898 new users per day. Slightly over half of them were under 18 years of age.
- Drug usage among baby boomers is steady increasing, although they do have historically higher rates of illicit drug use than previous age groups.
- Binge and heavy drinking is still more prevalent among the male population aged 12 years and older, that the female population aged 12 years and older.
- Heroin is responsible for in excess of 214, 000 emergency room visits per year, and is on the rise. There has been a five-fold increase in the number of Heroin overdose deaths since 2001, the most of any other illicit drug.
- Only 11% of those who need drug or alcohol treatment actually receive treatment at a specialized facility.
Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation
Here at The Hills Treatment Center, we have our finger on the pulse of latest national trends in drug and alcohol use and abuse. We also have our minds on formulating the latest and best treatment plans, and delivering the most effective treatment modalities in the drug rehabilitation and recovery arena. We offer many programs to that end.
Our staff of clinicians and paraprofessionals is always here to answer all of your questions and help evaluate the correct treatment program for you as an individual. Call upon us to discuss the drug treatment and rehabilitation program that suits your lifestyle and your future recovery best.