Polysubstance abuse is a term that describes the use of more than one drug concurrently for at least 12 months. This behavior could occur for recreational or medical use. When people use multiple illicit substances at the same time, they often do so to enhance the high they feel. When you consider that abusing even one drug can have dangerous and even fatal effects, it stands to reason that the consequences can multiply in this situation.
Signs of Polysubstance Abuse
For diagnosis of polysubstance abuse disorder, a person must display at least three of the following symptoms within a 12-month period:
- Tolerance. The person must use increasingly higher amounts of the substance in order to feel the same effects
- Physical withdrawal symptoms. Individuals who attempt to cease using the substances may experience a variety of painful or uncomfortable physical symptoms.
- Loss of control over their drug use. The person may be unable to quit or will use more than they originally intended
- Obsession with drugs. The person spends more and more time thinking about, obtaining and using their drugs of choice
- Extreme consequences. Drug use is taking over the person’s life, replacing relationships and pursuits that they once loved
- Physical or psychological problems.
Treating Polysubstance Use Disorder
In many respects, treating a polysubstance use problem is similar to an intervention for an addiction to just one substance. First, you must detox from the chemicals. If the dependency is severe, it’s always best to detox under medical supervision. This is because a physician can prescribe drugs that make the physical discomfort of the withdrawal process more bearable.
Once the poisons are successfully clear from your body, the emotionally and psychologically challenging work of recovery begins. Since addiction is a complex disease that has deep roots in many aspects of your life, you need to understand what caused it, what triggers your use and how your related behaviors have affected you and those you love.
Getting the Help You Need at The Hills Treatment Center
Addiction to multiple substances is dangerous and potentially fatal. Don’t wait for things to get even worse when there’s a place where you can go to turn your life around. The Hills Treatment Center is a fully accredited, comprehensive polysubstance abuse and alcoholic treatment facility in California. Our mission is to walk with you on your recovery journey, furnishing you with all of the tools and wisdom you will need to make lasting changes in your life.
We can’t do it for you, but we can provide you with the optimal environment for transformation. Our beautiful campus is tucked away in the iconic Hollywood Hills, away from the temptations of the city. You can do the work of healing and self-discovery anonymously and discreetly under the guidance of our empathetic staff. We understand what you’re going through because many of us have been there ourselves.
When you entrust your recovery to the team of professionals at The Hills, you can expect an unparalleled level of choices and addiction treatment therapies. Our staff will take time to get to know you and your unique medical, psychological and addiction history, formulating a customized treatment plan that takes everything into consideration. Available options include the following:
- Medically supervised detox on site
- Pet-friendly living space
- Inpatient treatment with customized, evidence-based addiction therapies
- Programs for young adults
- Individual, group, and family counseling
- Dual diagnoses and polysubstance abuse treatment
- Intensive outpatient program
- Sober living and sober companion services
Become the boss of your life once again. Free yourself from the burden of multi-substance abuse today. Call our caring counselors today at 866-323-4665.