Every day, millions of people in the United States use drugs and alcohol. While some can do so in moderation, others find themselves caught in the throes of addiction. These drug addiction statistics reveal exactly how dangerous this issue is among Americans today.
Five Facts that Drug Addiction Statistics Reveal
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note that over 10% of people over the age of 12 use illicit drugs. Frequently, the use of illegal drugs such as heroin results in overdose deaths.
- As this agency notes, 16% of people dying from heroin poisoning also had an opioid painkiller involvement.
- 81% of drug poisoning deaths were unintentional.
- The mortality among populations shows a shift as well. In the past, heroin-related drug poisoning deaths affected primarily African Americans over the age of 45.
- After just a short three years, experts saw a shift in the drug overdose mortality rate. It now involves mainly Caucasians between the ages of 18 and 44.
Drug Addiction Treatment Offers Help
These drug addiction statistics paint a grim picture. However, another set of informative stats by the National Institute on Drug Abuse shows promising treatment approaches. This set of statistics outlines how well behavioral therapies work for the treatment of a broad range of use compulsions.
When you seek out treatment at a luxury rehab facility, evidence-based modalities feature behavioral therapies such as:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy that promotes relapse prevention in individuals struggling with depressant and stimulant abuse
- Dialectical behavior therapy that assists with the creation of coping strategies in the face of intense emotional challenges
- Group therapy allows for peer reinforcement of positive changes, which appeals to individuals with all types of addictions
- Functional family therapy seeks to undo destructive patterns that support drug use in the home
- Pet therapy, which shows well-documented results in areas of stress relief and motivational enhancement
You’re More Than a Statistic
It’s easy to look at statistics and feel lost. Struggling with a drug abuse problem limits your ability to look to the future. It also prevents you from making the same plans other peers make. But there’s help.
Rehab facilities now offer a number of treatment programs that are sure to fit your schedule. An inpatient rehab stay lets you live at the facility and receive the highest level of care around the clock. It’s a great option for someone who’s tried rehab before or just needs to get away from home. A partial hospitalization appeals to the individual with a supportive home environment or responsibilities that require a nightly presence.
For some individuals, an intensive outpatient treatment might be exactly the right choice. Discuss your options with a friendly intake counselor at The Hills Treatment Center. You don’t have to continue suffering from a drug or alcohol problem. Call 866-323-4665 today.